So you’re taking the TExES Chemistry 7-12 (240) exam and you’re asking some of the following questions:
- Where do I find a free practice test?
- An exam breakdown?
- How do I register for the test?
Those are all great questions, and you’ve found the right place to get them answered!
My name is Becky Hummel, and at Best in Class we are here to help you get familiar with everything you need to know about the TExES Chemistry 7-12.
TExES Chemistry 7-12 Video Overviews
Finding the right kind of study material can be daunting. This video from 240 Tutoring offers a brief guide on types of resources available to choose from, and how to choose the best resource foryou:
For a quick look at a few TExES Chemistry 7-12 practice questions, try this video:
First Thing to Know
The TExES Chemistry 7-12 (240) exam is part of the TExES series of tests. TExES stands for Texas Examinations of Educator Standards. The TExES tests are designed to test beginning educators and determine whether or not they have sufficient knowledge to teach entry-level courses.
This test was created to determine whether or not the test taker has the prerequisite knowledge of chemistry necessary to teach entry-level classes in grades 7-12.
The identification number for the TExES Chemistry 7-12 is 240. This number is used to distinguish this content exam from other subject area tests.
TExES Chemistry 7-12 Exam Breakdown
The TExES Chemistry 7-12 is made up of one test covering four domains. You will be given access to a periodic table, physical constants reference page, and on-screen scientific calculator during the exam.
|Domain Name||Percentage of Test|
|Scientific Inquiry and Processes||24%|
|Matter and Energy||41%|
|Science Learning, Instruction, and Assessment||12%|
Because this is one exam not broken down into individual subtests, you will be required to retake the whole exam should you not receive a passing score the first time and want to retake the test.
What is a TExES Chemistry 7-12 Passing Score
Once you’ve taken the test, you’ll want to know if you’ve passed! The TExES Chemistry 7-12 exam has a scaled score between 100 and 300, with a minimum passing score of 240. If you’ve scored 240 or higher, you’re ready to teach chemistry in grades 7-12.
How to Register for the TExES Chemistry 7-12 Exam
New to Teaching?
If you are new to teaching, you will need to participate in an Educator Preparation Program through the state of Texas before signing up for this exam or taking any certification tests. If you do not currently possess an education degree from an accredited university, check out this resource for alternative certification programs in Texas.
Once you’re on track to obtain your teaching degree or certification, follow the following steps to register for the TExES Chemistry 7-12 (240) exam:
- If this is your first time taking a TExES exam, you must first create an account with the Texas Education Agency (TEA).
- Click “ECOS for Educators”
- Create and complete your TEAL Educator Profile to receive a TEA ID Number. You will need this number when registering for your exams.
- Make sure to choose EDUCATOR as your organization type.
- You will need a Social Security number while creating your account. If you do not have a Social Security number, there are additional instructions available during registration to request a temporary identification number.
- Create an account with the Texas Educator Certification Examination Program here or log in if you already have an account.
- Use a permanent email address, not one associated with your college or other address that may be temporary.
- Complete your profile with your TEA ID number, name, and birth date.
- Register for your exam.
- Choose the exam title [Chemistry 7-12 (240)].
- Register for any testing accommodations if required.
- Answer two questions about your best and first language.
- Select how you would like to receive your exam score.
- Pay the exam fee of $116.
- Schedule your exam. Registering for your exam only enters you into the system for testing. Once you have paid for your test you can choose a date and location of testing. Be sure to schedule within 170 days of your registration date.
- Choose which exam to schedule if you have registered for more than one.
- Find a testing location near you using the built-in search feature.
- Search for available testing dates in your chosen location.
- Finalize and confirm your selection.
- Save your confirmation email. Your confirmation is also available in your Pearson account.
If you are already a certified teacher from another state or content area and would like to add Chemistry 7-12 to your teaching certifications, follow these steps:.
- Out-of-state teachers need to be approved by the Texas Education Agency. Follow this link to review the steps necessary to have your out-of-state credentials reviewed and approved.
- Log in to your Texas Educator Certification Examination Program account. Have your TEA ID number handy.
- Register for the TExES Chemistry 7-12 (240) exam and pay the exam fee.
- Find a testing location and date and schedule your test.
Once you pass the exam, you are well on your way to teaching Chemistry 7-12 in the state of Texas!
TExES Chemistry 7-12 (240) Free Practice Test
You’ve registered for the TExES Chemistry 7-12 (240) exam. Now you want to know if you’ll pass. With 17 competencies covered within the exam, there is a lot of content to review and study! If you’re unsure of where to begin, take a look at this selection of practice tests available for the TExES Chemistry 7-12 (240).
Best Free Practice Test
240 Tutoring has been helping teachers pass their exams since 2011. They offer an online, completely free, 50-question practice test for the TExES Chemistry 7-12 (240). This practice test will give you a free score breakdown so you can see exactly what you need to study.
TExES Chemistry 7-12 (240) Paid Practice Test
Best Paid Practice Test
240 Tutoring also offers a study guide with a full-length practice test. Their TExES Chemistry 7-12 Study Guide includes more than 350 questions, 113 pages of content, and hundreds of flash cards. The study guide thoroughly reviews all the domains and competencies assessed on the exam to ensure that users are successful when they finally test.
Best of all? The study guide comes with a money-back guarantee that you will pass the test. You can study with confidence that 240 Tutoring will help you get the job done.
BONUS: 240 Tutoring is a month-to-month subscription. You get access to all of their TExES study guides, including the Chemistry 7-12 (240), for just one monthly price of $39.99. No need to buy separate test booklets for each TExES exam!
Runner-Up for Practice Test
TEA Preparation Manual Chemistry 7–12 (240)
This 40-question practice test and exam manual is provided by the Texas Education Agency for use by those preparing to take the Chemistry 7-12 exam. This practice test will give you a solid look at how questions will be worded and the types of content on the test. Each question comes with the answer, the competency it matches, and a rationale for that answer. The downside to this free test is that it is only 40 questions and is not accompanied by any study material.
Test Prep Review
This short, 10-question practice test provides a small overview of questions you might encounter during the exam, as well as answer rationales. To receive a more detailed test or study guide, you’ll have to buy the company’s study material.
TExES Chemistry 7-12 (240) Free Study Guide
You’ve registered for the TExES Chemistry 7-12 (240) exam, and it’s time to start studying. With 17 competencies covered within the exam, there is a lot of content to work through! If you’re ready to dive into a study plan, take a look at this selection of study guides available for the TExES Chemistry 7-12 (240).
Best Free Study Guide
240 Tutoring’s TExES Chemistry 7-12 Ultimate Guide breaks down this exam into its domains and reviews some of the main components of each. This study guide is a great way to quickly review the content that might be tested on the TExES Chemistry 7-12 exam. While it doesn’t cover every tested concept, it’s an excellent free resource!
TExES Chemistry 7-12 (240) Paid Study Guide
Best Paid Study Guide
240 Tutoring also offers a full study guide. Their TExES Chemistry 7-12 Study Guide includes more than 350 questions, 113 pages of content, and hundreds of flash cards. The study guide thoroughly reviews all the domains and competencies assessed on the exam to ensure that users are successful when they finally test.
The study guide also comes with a money-back guarantee that you will pass the test.
BONUS: 240 Tutoring is a month-to-month subscription. You get access to all of their TExES study guides, including Chemistry 7-12 (240), for just one monthly price of $39.99. No need to buy separate test booklets for each TExES exam!
Runner-Up for Study Guide
Study.com TExES Chemistry 7-12 Course
Study.com offers a complete TExES study guide that includes lessons, practice questions, and flash cards. The lessons are all presented via video, so if this fits your learning style then this might be a great option for you. Study.com offers a higher-score guarantee, but not a passing guarantee. Monthly plans for this site start at $59.99 per month.
Mometrix Print or Digital Study Guide
If you prefer a printed version of a study guide, try Mometrix. They offer a print and digital study guide text that claims to teach you the “secrets” to passing the test by using certain test-taking strategies. For $39.99 you get access to the study material and one practice test. The downside to this printed study guide is that once you’ve taken the printed practice test, no new questions will generate to continue testing your knowledge of the topic.
Becky taught for six years as a Reading/Language Arts teacher in middle and high school. She currently spends her time chasing after two sweet girls and catching up on current teaching research.